2021 Truffle Season ran from late May to the 27th of September.
Welcome to Yarra Valley Truffles
Located one hour from Melbourne, in volcanic red soil amongst the undulating hills of Victoria's Yarra Valley, and surrounded by vineyards, the cool climate is similar to the Perigord region of France from where the Black Winter Truffle (Tuber melanosporum) originates. Cold winters, warm summers and high rainfall of the Yarra Valley region are beneficial to both truffle and wine production.
Our truffiére is maintained organically, promoting a fully natural, healthy soil & environment. This fosters the delicate relationship between the truffle and tree, without interference from fertilisers or herbicides.
The truffiére was planted in 2006. Our first Truffles were found in 2011, with workload increasing to full-time by 2015.
In 2016 we unearthed a world record breaking 1.5kg truffle, and shifted marketing focus to export in 2017.
With observation and research into all aspects of truffle growing, the production of our truffiére has continued to expand each year.
An overall cool Summer, with plenty of rain has led to bountiful harvests in Vineyards and Orchards throughout the Yarra Valley.
The truffle harvest also looks to be plentiful, as long as we get the proper Winter weather required to fully ripen the truffle, with the cold to set the deep flavour and aroma.
Next Harvest will commence around mid-June 2021...
- ✔ October-November 2020: soil preparation, pruning, applying truffle spore to trees, etc.
- ✔ December: Truffles start forming
- ✔ January 2021: First signs of truffles in soil, Irrigation commences
- ✔February: Hazelnut harvest/removal. Irrigation. protecting developing truffles.
- ✔March: Soil improvement measures over past few years are yielding results, with less truffle requiring labour intensive protection measures. Feb/Mar only cursory effort was input for less than 10% loss so far.
- ✔April: Removal of truffles damaged by rot or insects is essential for long term prospects, and protection measures will still be required
We also need to estimate sales potential this year with Covid impacting restaurants and export, likely below sustainability. We plan a retail focus this year, and are developing products which can use the rest of the harvest.
- Final preparations for season
- Monitoring development to determine season commencement date for properly ripe truffle
- As always top quality will only appear once it is truly cold and frosty.
Season has commenced at start of June, quite early with strong frost and other factors coming into play.
But, due to Covid Economy Breaker measures by Government, we can't open like most of the 2020 season, and are currently focusing on final harvest preparations instead.
We still hold some hope for a 12th June farmgate opening, and possibly online from 7th if new online store and alternative delivery arrangements to AusPost are completed.
- ✔mid-JUNE to 27th SEPTEMBER: Harvest season, exact start/finish determined by winter weather... see 2019 description below
- ✔15-19th September:Soil aeration for 2022 season
- October-November: Maintenance and preparation for 2022 season