The main season for Black Winter Truffle in Victoria typically runs through July & August.
Feel free to Contact Us regarding supply, preorder is preferable for fastest ground to kitchen delivery. We normally harvest/deliver Thursday/Friday, but can arrange other times with advance notice.
We primarily sell via delivery to restaurants and retailers.
Although we do not sell from farm gate, it is possible to arrange private sales available for quantities >80g. This requires making delivery/meeting arrangements, either during usual end of week delivery run, or at a yarra valley coffee shop/winery at other times. For smaller amounts see retail outlets listed on sidebar.
NEXT HARVEST; 23/24th July.
Partway through the truffiere today, half the truffle harvested was newly discovered on previously producing trees. Bear is performing wonderfully, marking only nearly ripe truffle, and very gentle with the paw. Those just commencing ripening are indicated with only a sniff, no paw.
HARVESTED; (unreserved and available)
- details later, few hundred grams avail atm. 17:00 23/7
CONFIRMED;-(located, commenced ripening, but not yet ready)
POTENTIAL; (sites paw marked by dog, but not yet exposed, due to either total lack of aroma, or too slight to disturb yet)
- Several dozen truffles located earlier in year, most will now survive to ripeness.
Not all truffles are detected early, deeper ones only make their presence known close to maturity when the dog can smell them, so the list above is only indicative of next harvest. Also any Time estimates of when a truffle will be ripe are approximate, ripening time varies by size, depth, location and weather.
Previous 2014 truffle hunt observations listed below, as it's of some interest regarding the progression of our season in the Yarra Valley.
- Hailstorm aborted Thurs 17/7 hunt, most truffles found matched to preorders, 1/3rd truffiére remaining to be checked tomorrow. Some reserved in ground as ripe for Saturday's Grossi Florentino truffle hunt.
- Friday 11th harvest provided 654g, increasing production and anticipating full season levels next week. Already identifying potential Grossi Hunt truffles.
- Thursday 10th Heavy rainfall overnight and all day has washed most aroma's into the soil, making locating ripe truffles very difficult. Majority of trees left for checking tomorrow morning after soil drains a little. Two new truffles found today and some others to be evaluated for harvesting tomorrow.
- 2/7/14 Just a few truffles allocated for truffle hunt, harvesting Thursday & Saturday. Any excess prioritised for existing local customers.
- 28/6/14 Several truffles checked today will be fully ripe this week. Bear found a new productive tree with two truffles at 6cm depth, so the soil profile has chilled nicely with past week's weather.
- Preseason losses 3.6kg rotten (22 truff), 465g insect damage (12 truff), and 150g warm weather spoiled (one truff). Actually good news as it is a significantly lower % than previous seasons.
- 23/6/14 Bear marked a nicely ripening truffle today, encouraging signs with colour and aroma reaching medium levels on a few others.
- 11/6/14 Finally some frost. Some proper colour is starting to show, and a few enticing aromas, albeit on truffles removed due to insect damage and rot.
- Monitoring with dogs throughout June to identify start of proper season.